Málaga airport transfers
The province of Malaga, is located in the south of the Mediterranean coast between the provinces of Granada and Cadiz, and borders to the North with the Cordoba and Seville. Its capital is Malaga.
Between the sea and the mountains runs the history of this peculiar province, whose capital was witness to the economic and cultural take-off of the western Mediterranean. The Phoenician Malaka became a thriving commercial center. After the Muslim invasion of the VIII century, its territory was Arabised, and integrated, later, in the Moorish kingdom of Granada and lives a new period of commercial and cultural apogee.
In the XIX century, the steelworks, the powerful textile industry of Larios and the marketing of its wines, provides an important economic development to the province.
Late and after decades of crisis, in the second half of the XX century, Malaga achieved rapid economic growth thanks to the tourism industry. Every year millions of citizens around the world choose this paradisiacal land to rest on its sunny beaches, discover its rich architectural heritage or explore the wild beauty of its geography.
Malaga province has over 160 kilometers of coastline. The Mediterranean Sea bathes directly a total of 14 Málaga municipalities. It’s possible to go to hidden enclaves where the purest nature is around the environment, or tourist and consolidated spaces. Both the eastern part of the province, and the Western have so attractive beaches that have made The Costa del Sol a world-class destination
We can’t forget the interior landscape, with more than 15 protected areas as a reserve, place or natural monument. Places that run from the depths of the Mediterranean to the high peaks. Magical forests and rivers where you can still find foxes, golden eagles and mountain goats.
In the coast of Málaga, visitors can find an endless gastronomic offer. The smaller fish (anchovies, mullet, mackerel, squid and baby squid) presented in frying, are the symbol of a kitchen of simple preparation but exquisite palate. A special flavor offer the prawns from the Bay, the clams and lobsters cooked or grilled
Inside the province, it’s made an exquisite charcuterie and dishes with powerful content: baby goat with garlic, fried goat, hare … The gazpacho, is prepared in Malaga in multiple ways: white garlic, porra antequerana, gazpachuelo … The wines, raisins and muscatel grapes and Pedro Ximénez have international fame.
Points of interest
The Alcazaba in Málaga lies at the foot of the Mount Gibralfaro, next to the Roman Theater, and sits on the ancient remains of a Phoenician fortress.
Built in the eleventh century, notable for its integration with the environment, and for the peace and quiet we breathe walking among its walls, which once served to the war
Inside the Alcazaba there’s a lot of vegetation and the soil is crossed by small streams of water, so although the day is too hot, we will enjoy a cool atmosphere.
In the tour of the Alcazaba, we will see some courtyards with fountains, we can climb the walls, from which there are some of the best views of Malaga, and will end up in the Nazari palace, which has been rebuilt and in which some objects from that time are exposed
Málaga Cathedral, popularly known as the Manquita due to the lack of a tower, is in Renaissance style, and is notable for the breadth of its interior.
Catholic Monarchs, Isabella and Ferdinand ordered to build a Christian Church a few days of conquering the city in 1487, so the cathedral is on the site of what was once a mosque. After a period of inactivity the works resumed until near the end of the sixteenth century, and then more interruptions gave up into the eighteenth century.
Designed by Diego de Siloam and Andres de Vandelvira, it was completed in 1782, after several economic problems that forced to leave unfinished the tower.
The interior of the Cathedral has several spectacular altars, which highlight the choir seats.
The Arch of the Giants dates back to the sixteenth century and was built on an ancient Moorish door and in which you can see statues and Roman inscriptions.
The Arch of the Giants or Gate of Hercules rises in 1585 in replacement of the Muslim door known”la Estepa” or La Villa
This construction shows the interest of the city by legitimizing its Renaissance through the Roman ruins that appearedon the floor. Therefore, once lifted, all those statues and Latin gravestones that had appeared in the next Roman cities are inserted. Its design, is due to the architect Francisco de Azurriola and its construction to the builder of the city, named Francisco Gutierrez
The Arch, which opens into a wall of more than two meters thick, has a height of seven meters. His crown was until nineteenth century, quite cumbersome, because it had a large niche flanked by two buttresses, which had an enormous Roman statue of Hercules. The jar of lilies of the key as well as the castle and the lion of the ledge, make up the shield of the city.
In 1909 they dispossessed the Arch of the Roman remains preserved and it was not until 1984 when the they reconstructed the immediate Tower and replaced four large gravestones which developed the Latin dedication to the King Felipe II.
A year later, it completes its remodeling with the remains of the original statue of Hercules, most Latin inscriptions, and a copy of the Roman relief that is placed over the jar of lilies and which give its current appearance.
The Roman Theatre in Malaga has its origins in the first century B.C., in the period of the Roman Hispania, when Malaga was part of the province of Hispania Ulterior. It was built in the time of Emperor Augustus, being used until the third century.
After being hidden for centuries, it was discovered in 1951 during the realization of the gardens of the Palace of files and libraries, known as La Casa de la Cultura. Between 1960 and 1963, the architect Pons Sorolla restored cávea?. In 1988 he issued the decision to demolish the Palace Archives and Libraries to allow complete archaeological excavations and the restoration work. But it was not until 1995 that began the demolition.
These excavations revealed the underground structure of a large warehouse or space of tillage related to the Roman factory, which was built in the enclosure in the IV-V centuries. Their floors were covered with hydraulic mortar and supported by central pillars rested on stone blocks from the theater exploded. Its construction, therefore, was responsible for the loss of the western two-thirds of the southern basilica of the Theatre.
The theatre was also used as a quarry in the construction of the Alcazaba. Several capitals and shafts of the columns appear as support for the horseshoe arches at the gates of the Alcazaba.
Between 1958 and 1984 the Roman Theatre in Malaga hosted theatrical performances during the summers. In 2011, after twenty-seven years of rehabilitation work, it regained its use as a performance space.
Bleachers or part of the theater seat intended for viewers. It has 31.1 meters radius and is 16 meters high. It is semicircular and divided by the stairs in cunei or section of circle. In the seats, from below and concentric, lies the cávea inma, the average cávea and the cávea sunma, separated by corridors (praccinctiones). Access to different areas were carried out by arched doors or corridors (vomitoria).
Semicircular space of 15 meters, located between the bleachers and the stage. It consists of a lower steps, where the city authorities were placed.
Stage that lies behind the Orchesta, distinguishing two parts, the Pulpitum, or place of representation made of wooden and raised above the orchestra, to facilitate viewing; The Frons scaenae or scenic Front, as a wall that protects and fulfills an acoustic function with the same height as the highest point of the cavea.
Gibralfaro Castle was built by the Arabs in the early fourteenth century, Nasrid period, as a last defensive redoubt and quartering of troops. It’s located on Mount Gibralfaro, overlooking the city and its surroundings. It was attached to the Alcazaba by a walled road called Coracha, which still exists.
Named after a lighthouse that was at its peak (Jabal-Faruk, Mount of the Lighthouse). Although it was used by the Phoenicians and Romans, would be the king Nazarite King Yusuf I in 1340 who would develop in strength this settlement.
In the reconquest he suffered the siege of the Catholic Monarchs during the summer of 1487 and for Fernando the Catholic it became his temporary residence after the victory. In addition, he designated the castle as an element of the coat of arms of the city.
Considered for a time the most impregnable fortress of the Iberian peninsula, has two lines of walls and eight towers. The outer wall joins the Coracha, zigzagging walls arranged in ways that link the Castle with the Alcazaba. For its part, the inside allows the coastal path around the perimeter of the fortress.
The Castle can be divided into two parts. The top is called the main courtyard and in it we find the Interpretation Center where you can learn the history of the Castle through its inhabitants. In this area are located the Mayor tower, with 17 meters high, the Phoenician well and bathrooms. The pit of Airón is dug in live rock and has a depth of 40 meters.
The bottom, or parade ground, concentrated the troop barracks and stables.The Albarrana tower or white tower, facing northeast, is one of the most visible and inside retains a cistern, dependencies and warehouses.
The gardens of Pedro Alonso are located on the east side of the City Hall and have an area of 6,500 square meters. These gardens of Latin design keep Spanish-Muslim features and Frenchified: flowerbeds with low hedges to provide color and symmetry, orange trees to provide shade, color and aroma; ponds provide contrast and feeling of freshness and sounds with suppliers.
It highlights the rose garden, with 75 varieties from all over the world. This design, by the architect Guerrero Stachan, also constitutes an ingenious transition between the Park and the Puerta Oscura; the garden also harmonizes with the walls of the Alcazaba and Gibralfaro and with the City Hall. Few places in Malaga shown as clearly as here, the architectural and botanical binomial.
They are some gardens designed by architect Fernando Guerrero-Strachan Rosado, drawn in 1945 and were named in honor of the first Mayor of the postwar period, Pedro Luis Alonso.
Another point to consider is “The biznaga” because it’s a symbol associated with the city of Málaga, so popular is the image of Biznaguero selling the jazmine through the streets of Malaga, the Malaga-born sculptor Jaime Pimentel dedicated a sculpture to this character and currently adorns the center of the gardens of Pedro Luis Alonso.
Guadalhorce. Less than an hour’s drive from Malaga is hidden this paradise , with turquoise waters and an impressive gorge. The three dams that were built in the last century for the water supply of Malaga have become a natural paradise in the province where you can see large birds of prey such as the golden eagle and the griffon vulture soaring through the skies.
The oldest of the three reservoirs, the Conde de Guadalhorce also provides much history sights such as the House of the Engineer, a viewpoint or the “armchair of the King”, a set of two banks, an armchair and a table made of stone, where the king Alfonso XIII signed the completion of the construction of the Conde de Guadalhorce reservoir.
For the more active lovers of nature there are several campsites and facilities that rent canoes and reservoirs have several trails; some of them with spectacular views.
The area is also beloved by climbers and considered one of the best in the South of Europe. Adrenaline lovers are amateurs to the famous “Caminito del Rey”
El Caminito del Rey is a pedestrian passage built into the walls of Desfiladero de Los Gaitanes with a width of just 1 m and hanging up to 100 m above the river, in a nearly vertical walls to maintain this channel. The impressive work was inaugurated in 1921 by King Alfonso XIII, hence its name.
Sea Life Benalmádena is an aquarium located in Benalmádena (Málaga). It’s located in a building of Eduardo Oria at the entrance to the Puerto Deportivo de Benalmádena, opposite the watchtower of Torre Bermeja next to Marina Shopping Mall.
It was opened in 1995 as a conservationist and protectionist center of sharks and more than 5,000 creatures from the Mediterranean, Atlantic and tropical areas of the Indian, Pacific and Red Sea, and the most representative species of the Amazon. It’s composed of 25 tanks divided into 9 wards.
To get to Sea Life simply we have to approach to the Puerto Deportivo de Benalmádena Costa, natural access from road it is via the Mediterranean motorway exit 222 or 340 towards Benalmádena Costa Nacional. In case of reaching the city by bus, the stop will be Benalmar or train in Benalmádena-Arroyo de la Miel. The area has parking, although it’s mainly controlled by blue zone.
The price of a normal entrance to Sea Life Benalmádena is € 15.50 (price 2013), children pay 13,50 and if we will buy them online, we can do it for 10 euros both. As a recommendation, it’s quite common in bars, restaurants and shopping centers to find discounts, including inputs 2 × 1 in promotional exhibitors, quite common to see in the Miramar Shopping Centre Fuengirola. The opening hours are from 10 am to 6 pm as the last admission, open every day of the week.
La Malagueta is the bullring of Malaga. It’s located in the area which gives its name, La Malagueta, in the Eastern District of Malaga, next to the Paseo de Reding.
It was built in 1874 by Joaquín Rucoba, inaugurated on June 11, 1876 with bulls from the ranch of Murube that were fought by Rafael Molina “Lagartijo”, Antonio Carmona and Luque “El Gordito” and Manuel Rodriguez ” Desperdicios ‘ “.
In 1976 it was declared a Historic-Artistic site, coinciding with the centenary of its opening, and in 1981, of Cultural Interest.
The Square is neomudéjar style, taking the form of a hexadecagon. After the reform carried out in 2010 the arena has a capacity for 9,032 spectators. The Arena measures 52 meters in diameter and square facilities including 4 pens, stables, 10 stalls, placed for test horses, room for the bullfighters, nursing, etc. In its dependencies is also located the Museo Taurino Antonio Ordóñez.
This square, of 1st category, is a bullfighting enclosure season, and its celebrations include two bullfights at Easter, including the so-called “Corrida Picassiana”, the “Corrida Press” held in the month of June for the feast of the patron saints, San Ciriaco and Santa Paula, the festivities during the August Fair and the bullfight in September coinciding with the feast of the patroness of Malaga.
The Constitution Square has been the nerve center of Malaga’s life from the time of the reconquest, in which it was called the square of Cuatro Calles. It has also had other names such as plaza Mayor until in 1812 that was renamed by the Constitution.
Here have been located the city of Malaga until 1869, the Casa del Corregidor, the jail, the Hearing, the convent of the Augustinians, even other tourist attractions such as the Economic Society of Friends of the Country.
In one of its sides, tp not hinder the holding of all kinds of events, is the Source of Genoa. Booths of the fair of Malaga, the Tribune of the authorities in the Holy Week… are some of the major events that continues to host this Malaga central square.
In 2003 they made “la calle Larios” as a pedestrian street, along the main street of the city, which leads to the square, one of the recommended sites to begin your walk through the historic center of Málaga.
One of the places where you can spend a relaxing time to enjoy the good weather of Málaga during most of the year.
The street of the Marques de Larios was inaugurated on August 27, 1891 and was a project by the engineer Jose Maria Sancha and later modified by Manuel Rivera.
The architectural and urban value of this space in the city is beyond doubt as harmonious and consolidated whole, highlighting its buildings, designed by Eduardo Strachan and Viana-Cárdenas
From its origins La Calle Larios has had a mixed use road traffic and pedestrians, until its renovation in 2003 when it became pedestrian. In addition to being an important shopping street, among the first in Spain, and along with Constitution Square is an urban space protagonist of most of the important events of the city. As one of the streets that make up the historical district and specializes in the retail.